Monday, April 2, 2012

Part 5: Chiang Mai

 Our last stop was Chiang Mai.  I DEFINITELY want to go back there some day.  We were only there for a short time, but it was so nice.  So peaceful, in the mountain.  We stayed in this cute bed-and-breakfast that I loved!  We went out the night we flew in and sat outside at this restaurant along the river, listening to live jazz music and drinking fun cocktails...it was perfect!  
The next day, we spent the day with the elephants.  It's a day I'll never forget and I was so blessed to spend it with Dickens, to share this amazing experience with him.  Words can't describe the impact these animals had on me...I was in awe the whole day.  I kept thinking, "I can't believe this is real!  I'm taking care of this elephant for the day!"
We were assigned elephants that would match our personality.  I got a teenage boy elephant, which ended up being very well behaved.  And Dickens got the mother of my elephant...and she was stubborn, which was a good match for Dickens because he's so patient.
We learned how to feed them and clean them and walk them to the river to scrub them and bathe them. Then we learned the different ways to get on them and once we were on, we walked through the mountains to a waterfall for lunch.  The lunch was soooooo good!!  Fresh fruit and good rice and chicken.  After lunch, we got in the water to swim with the elephants.  By now, I was numb to this whole experience...it felt like I could wake up and do this every day!  We splashed around with a baby elephant and some adults and then headed back.
What a day!!  If anyone is planning on going to Thailand, they should definitely go to Patara Elephant Farm!!










 a six-week baby girl elephant!  she liked to wrestle and run around


No comments:

Post a Comment